Passport 101: How to apply, renew or replace passport?

The process of obtaining, renewing, or updating a passport is exactly what one would expect when working with a government agency: tedious, mind-numbing, and overly complex. While you’ll find everything you need to know about the often befuddling process on the U.S. State Department website, we’ve made things a little simpler for you by breaking down the basics—from forms to fees to IDs—and providing helpful links to the appropriate forms and websites.

Getting your first passport

To get your first passport, you’ll have to show up in person. Make an appointment at an acceptance facility or passport agency; search for the one closest to you here. You likely live near a facility where you can get a passport. Many post offices and even some public libraries can accept passport applications. Arrive at your passport agency with:

• Your filled-in DS-11 application form.

• Evidence of U.S. citizenship. Find a list of acceptable documents here.

• Valid identification. Find a list of acceptable ID here.

• A photocopy of the front and back of the identification you’re bringing on clean, white 8½” x 11″ paper.

• Your application fee. For a first-time adult passport, the total fee is $135.

• Passport photos. You can read more about the specifications for passport photos here. But most major drug stores, such as Walgreens or CVS, will sell appropriately sized passport photos that comply with government standards; this makes things a little easier.

Renewing a passport

You have two options here: Either you have your old passport or you don’t. If the former’s true, you can apply through the mail as long as your most recent passport is undamaged, was issued when you were at least 16 years old, and isn’t more than 15 years old. If you are nodding “yes” to all of that, simply mail in your old passport with the required documents and photos, and you’ll receive a new one in the mail in roughly four to six weeks. (Don’t worry. You’ll get your old passport back.) Here’s what you need: Form DS-82, your renewal fee ($110 for an adult), passport photos, and your old passport. Get more information about renewing a passport through the mail here.

Keep in mind that if you’ve changed your name since your last passport was issued, include an original certificate or court order that documents this; those without such papers must apply for a renewal in person.

Don’t have your old passport? Then you can’t get a passport renewed by mail. Head to a passport agency in person.

Lost or stolen passports

If your previous passport was lost or stolen, you’ll have to apply for a new one in person. You’ll need to bring two forms in this case: the standard DS-11 passport application and Form DS-64, which asks you to describe what happened to your little blue book.

Unfortunately, a replacement passport isn’t free. You’ll have to pay the standard application fee when applying for your new passport. Refer to the “Getting your first passport” section above; it lists everything else you’ll need to bring with you, including passport photos and identification.

Remember to always report your passport as missing the moment you’re sure it’s gone. You can do this by calling 1-877-487-2778.

Lost or stolen passports abroad

First and foremost, be prepared! Always travel with a photocopy of your passport and other identification, such as a driver’s license or birth certificate; this will make your situation much easier if (knock on wood) your passport disappears.  Take a photo of your important documents and store them in the Cloud for easy retrieval when abroad.

The State Department advises that American travelers get in touch with the closest U.S. embassy or consulate if they lose their passports while abroad. You’ll have to go there in person to get a new passport in order to return home. In What to Do If You’ve Lost Your Bag, Wallet, Everything, Rick Steves writes, “A replacement passport costs $140 and can generally be issued within a few days, or faster if you make a good case that you need it right away. If you don’t have the funds, the embassy will help you contact someone at home who can wire money directly to the embassy.”

Expediting a passport

You can get your passport expedited in roughly two to three weeks (door-to-door) via the State Department when you pay an extra $60 plus $12.85 for overnight delivery in addition to the standard processing fees. (Processing times can vary, so check theState Department site for the most up-to-date estimate.)

Need it sooner? Schedule an appointment to show up in person at a regional passport agency if you require a passport for travel within two weeks.

We don’t normally recommend using passport expediting services, which sometimes charge hundreds of dollars to secure passports in as little as 24 hours, unless you’re desperate. If you have enough time to get your passport directly through the traditional government channels, do it that way. It’ll save you a ton of money.

You can check the status of a pending passport application here.

Changing your name on your passport

Good news: There’s no fee for changing the name on your passport if your passport was issued less than a year ago. If the book’s more than a year old, though, you must pay standard renewal fees.

To change your name, fill out the appropriate form (use Form DS-5504 if your current passport is less than a year old and Form DS-82 if your passport is more than a year old) and mail it with your current passport, original proof of name change, a passport photo, and renewal fees, if necessary. Read more about tweaking your name on your passport here. And congratulations on your new moniker. features expert travel advice and unbiased coverage of travel deals

About Author

Terry Pawelko