What kind of electric do they use?

WORLD ELECTRIC GUIDE  follow link for a comprehensive list


Electric needs – Most hotels have hair dryers.  Its wise to get a worldwide outlet adapter that will fit 150 different countries.  If you’re a techie with many items (cellphone, iPod, laptop, camera etc.) You should buy consider buying an international power strip.  (Google it.)

There are three items you may need to switch between the different power systems:

  • Adapters or Plugs
  • Converters
  • Transformers

The adapter is simply a connector that changes the plug shape to match the outlet. It does not change the voltage or electrical output in any way. If you know that the plug shape is the only difference between your equipment and the electrical system you are planning to use, then an adapter is all you need. Some items come with ability to use either 110v or 220v built right in. In fact, most computers now have smart power supplies that are switchable between the two. Look at the different plug shapes shown below for various countries.

If your equipment requires a specific voltage, then you need a converter. Converters use an electronic switch to approximate 110v by rapidly cutting on and off the current received from a 220v source. This is okay for some electrical items like hair dryers but not good for anything electronic (something with a computer chip in it). Also, converters should not be used for anything that is going to be plugged in longer than a few minutes.

Electronic items need a transformer. You will also want to use a transformer if you are stepping up from 110 to 220. Where a converter would simply limit the amount of electrical output without really reducing it, a transformer actually reduces the voltage of the electricity going through it. This is a very important distinction. Always use a transformer with electronics!

About Author

Terry Pawelko